Saturday, March 29, 2008

Andy - Insights from life on the Africa Mercy

server[3]server[2]

I’m off work after completing 7 days on the 06:00 to 14:00 shift.
A new system of watches which I am responsible for that runs Sunday to Saturday with 2 days off either side. (I hope it will simplify the complex work schedules)
I’m still recovering; working in the engine room is no walk in the park. The temperatures range from 38 to 44 C (100-111 F) The humidity is so high and hence huge fluid loss!
On some jobs I have problems seeing as the sweat pours down my forehead and stings my eyes!
(Last year I did n’t arrive in Monrovia until May 23rd and the start of the rainy season-a lot cooler season!)
One problem that has compounded my exhaustion is the temperature in our cabin. During the day, 27 to 30 C with 26 the night time temp. Every day I wake up feeling groggy, like I need more sleep, it’s tough going.
The A/C working at 50% due to a major fault which occurred last year, we need more spares from Europe to fix it, just arrived so hopefully soon? Some areas on the ship are cool, the hospital and O.R.s, basically the new areas on the ship.
In Engineering we have been given added responsibility of running all the hospital services i.e. Oxygen enrichment plant, AGSS, compressed air, vacuum system. Plus HVAC and incineration of medical waste. Last year a team called ‘Projects’ continued post-ship yard, they took on the commissioning of the hospital systems, this year it’s over to us. We have to run 3 generators instead of the big 1 due to the sound-proofing required to allow all O.R. s to function. (Remember the No 1 main engines that were converted to generators?)


server[1]

Food - I have been on many ships and rigs but this is the first place I have encountered ‘Weevils’ especially in the pasta, the old salty sea dog stories are true, man these things breed fast in the warm climate and get into everything. The dry store is infested with them. Freezing kills them but we have full food freezers so have to live with them for now. We make jokes like ‘The lesser of two weevils’ Fortunately there are some good places to eat off the ship for a much needed change.

1 comment:

Tyrone said...

The good news is, that pasta has about come to and end, and we are now letting frozen stores dwindle to a smaller numbere in order to accomodate more dry stores in the freezer to try and eventually eliminate the problem.

I agree, one should get off the ship for a much needed change! Checking out the local fair/food, I encourage it, even I need a break from my own cooking!

Thanks for your work in Engineering! My room is definitely cooler than my room on the CBM or the ANA and I appreciate it.

If only the new people could have experienced the older ships first...