I started my Work Experience in March 2008. I worked on Tuesday 11th and Tuesday 18th of March. I worked in the Engineering department on the Africa Mercy. I started my training with my dad, Andy Cole. Later, I was trained by Ebenezer Yeboah and Denis Sokolov. The Engineering department is quite large, so I had many co-workers. I was given the tasks of checking for leaks, temperatures and oil amounts. I performed a viscosity test with new and old oil and commissioned an Air Compressor. I used a machine called a Lathe which is used to work on metal; I also worked on the Dock and helped weld with Denis.
I helped weld more support beams on a metal frame and helped move and weld three metal plates on top of the frame that was very strong. The new platform is now used to help the deck department transport equipment on and off the ship which makes me feel very proud. I was responsible for some of the minor things like getting tools for my Dad and also being kind of the left hand man of the difficult jobs he was doing. The Engineering department supplies electricity, fuel, water, and air conditioning to the ship, which serves everyone onboard. The engineers also help the ship to travel to places like Tenerife.
I arrived on time in the morning and after two breaks’ on both days. I had an attitude to learn and was keen to see the engine rooms for the first time. I stayed positive until I was working in the generator room because it was so hot in there. I tried to listen carefully to instructions, but sometimes I did not get the question or it was too loud to hear. It was embarrassing as I got loads of questions and orders wrong. I was properly dressed, with my bright blue overalls, red ear protectors, and black steel toe-capped boots. The engine rooms are always pretty dirty but for what I could clean up, I did. I was about 60% reliable to do the job correctly first time. By the end I think it was about 70%. I felt that by the end that I was a good beginner Engineer, because I learned many new and interesting things and performed many tasks. So far in my life I am not quite sure whether or not I would become an engineer. I love to work in the engine rooms, it’s really fun, but right now I really don’t know what career I will have when I am older. I have a better picture, which is good so I will now have more options to choose from. As an employee I would work the best of my ability. I would be friendly and social with my work mates. I would bring an attitude to learn and be punctual. I would bring work to a new level.
I really liked the program; I had expectations which were matched. I loved doing practical things with my hands instead of more things to do with the brain. The work was challenging in places, but that made the work a lot better for me as it made me come out of my comfort zone. In particular I think that my favourite thing was the metal work. I liked both the welding and the work with the lathe. I think that next year I am either going to do deck or engineering, I haven’t decided yet, I would love to do both. If I could change something about this experience, I would probably like to have done more metal work, I really enjoyed that. I think a more physical career would suit me best, because I like to use my hands to build and repair things.
BY CHRIS COLE





No comments:
Post a Comment