Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chris - Work Experience

Plumbing - Engineering
I chose to work in Engineering, so my dad the Chief Engineer was my boss! I thought it would be interesting to work with the Plumber - Chris Coburn, so I spent my week shadowing him. Chris is a really cool guy! I chose plumbing because you get to use your hands and it can be dirty work!
DSCF4061

Day 1 - March 30th
I was welcomed into the department by my dad during devo's. I then toured the Plumber's workshop with Tom Kenknight and Chris Coburn. The plumbers have a daily routine of checking at Reception for work requests from crew to them. These are some of the fixes we completed that first day:
Flushed a blockage from the sink in the cafe
Fixed the Albrecht family's toilet in their cabin which wasn't refilling with water when flushed
I crawled into ceiling spaces to fix pipes
I changed filters in the Laundry rooms on deck 6 and deck 3 (see picture)
I helped fix the shower by the pool on Deck 8
DSCF4064

It was all amazing - I loved it

Day 2 - March 31st
Today I spent the day in the fan room on Deck 7. It was slow at first but when we got into it, it was fun! There was a filter in between air-flow vents that was dirty and blocked up. Because of this Deck 5's air flow wasn't great, so we unscrewed the whole thing with wrenches and cleaned it up on Deck 8. It took a long time but I learnt a lot. After we had installed the filter back in place our next task was in the Academy where we unblocked the sink in the pre-school room. It was a great day, a bit slow at times but overall - fun!

Day 3 - April 1st
I woke up this morning quite tired. We had devo's in the International Lounge. The video we watched was powerful. After we checked the work requests in Reception we got to work.
Because there weren't too many plumbing issues today we went to work in Ken & Ann Berry's cabin and the adjoining Kristensen's family cabin improving air flow from the vents. This involved taking down about 16 vents and making adjustments to improve the air flow. After that we used a water vaccum to suction water from two blocked drains in the Galley releasing the blockage. It was awesome. While I was there I saw Joey who was working with the baker for his work experience, busily baking bread.

Day 4 - April 2nd
My morning was spent putting pipe in to a drain on deck 2. After break time we changed 7 or 8 water filters on deck 3 (Hospital deck). I enjoyed being down here as I got to see lots of our patients on the ward. We continued doing more of the same after lunch and then went along to the Peet's family cabin to fix the water pressure of their sink. Then we had an all ship fire drill which completed my fourth day.

Day 5 - April 3rd
First thing today I attended the fire drill briefing with Chris Coburn (review of how the drill yesterday went).We then did fire team training, including life boat training. This was great as we got to go in the big 150 man life boat while it was lowered by our Dekkies from the ship down into the water (Josh & Emma did the same with me) see picture.
CIMG3675 (2)
I learnt how the life boat is used and operated. It was a lot of fun. After first break Chris, Tom and I did our duties from the technical repair request book. We fixed a shower that was no longer running hot water and changed more filters in the laundry on Deck 3. I then took part in the technical crew prayer time on Deck 7 - It was a great way to finish a great week!

No comments: