Sunday, April 19, 2009

Josh - Work Experience

Deck Department - just 3 days for Junior High Students
I have spent my 3 days working in the Deck Department shadowing Drew Rawson (Assistant Bosun) & Jeremy Garcia (Deck Hand). This is Jeremy, with me in the picture below.
josh work experience 136

Day 1 - April 1st
Today was a great day! First, Drew and I closed some water valves and opened some others and then I had to check if the dry tanks were wet. They were very deep so I had to use a strange fishing rod like instrument to see if it was wet. Then we started up the water from the outside pump and I had to add chlorine to the water. After this was the highlight of my day. I had to use the crane to off-load a galley rubbish dumpster, then I had to put two more empty galley dumpsters into the galley, lowering them in using the crane. After this we went up to the bridge and made corrections for the navigation system. What a day!

Day 2 - April 2nd
Today was amazing - Firstly we opened the big hatch, then we unloaded and off loaded a container, which took a long time bit it was great.
josh work experience 138josh work experience 131

As the crane was lifting a pallet from the dock to the ship the pallet broke and the cargo fell into the sea!! Some of the guys had to launch the rescue boat to recover the cargo, some of us used ropes to haul heavy drums of oil up onto the ship.
josh work experience 134
Then John, Adam, Tommy & I got to wear these big orange immersion suits in the pool on deck 8, it was hilarious - we had a lot of fun! Then there was a fire drill and I was part of fire team 2. I carried the supplies and watched everything that went on. It was a crazy day!

Day 3 - April 3rd
Today we started with a life boat drill. You can see a picture of me in the life boat with Emma and Chris under Chris's work experience report. After this Jeremy and I helped others with their work and then we did some painting. After lunch we went into the cargo hold and received some more cargo, then we helped put the hatch back in place. I then got to drive the pallet jack to the forward crane ready to be lowered into the galley. I have had the most enjoyable work experience thanks to Jeremy and the Deck team. My friend John also did his work experience with the Deck Dept. Here we are having a drink during one of our breaks!!
josh work experience 140

No comments: